ShipEngine Carriers gives you one payment method that can buy labels from multiple carriers. Currently, ShipEngine Carriers includes USPS and UPS service providers.
ShipEngine Carriers works like a single postage account in ShipEngine for you to create labels and have access to our select rates for services with preferred shipping associates. There’s no need to create individual accounts with them. With ShipEngine Carriers, you set up the billing method you wish to use and purchase your labels.
This article includes:
- How to connect ShipEngine Carriers
- How to add funds and set up auto-funding
- Cubic pricing
- Discounted rates
Connect ShipEngine Carriers
To start using ShipEngine Carriers, log in to the ShipEngine dashboard and follow these steps:
- Go to the Connections section of your ShipEngine account.
- Click the Setup button toward the upper right of the page.
- Add your billing information.
- Click Next.
- Click I Agree.
- You should now see two colored titles and carrier IDs for USPS and UPS
NOTE: With ShipEngine Carriers, you will not have access to a USPS or UPS account.
Add Funds to ShipEngine Carriers
After you have set up ShipEngine Carriers, you will need to add funds to begin making labels.
NOTE: All shipments created using ShipEngine Carriers are prepaid and use a shared pool of funds.
- Log in to the ShipEngine dashboard and go to the Connections section.
- In the ShipEngine Carriers section, click Add Funds.
- Configure the funding options you want to use with ShipEngine Carriers.
NOTE: We recommend using auto-funding to ensure the balance never falls below a set threshold amount to avoid errors interrupting your workflow.
Set up Auto-Funding
To set up auto-funding:
- Select the Set up Auto-Funding radio button.
- Configure your preferred funding settings. For example, if you wanted to purchase $100 any time your account balance is below $250, set the When balance drops below amount to ‘250’ and the Automatically fund by this amount to ‘100’. Then enter the maximum number of times ShipEngine should automatically purchase postage in a day next to Stop after this many times per day.
Cubic pricing is available by default for all ShipEngine users creating labels with ShipEngine USPS.
Cubic rates are ideal for small, heavy packages since the pricing is based on the volume of the package instead of the weight. Any package that measures 0.50 cubic feet or less and is 20 pounds or less is eligible.
To receive cubic rates in ShipEngine:
- Choose a USPS domestic Priority service.
- Choose a package type of Package.
- Enter the package weight & dimensions.
ShipEngine will automatically apply the cubic rate whenever it's cheaper than the priority rate.
In addition to being able to manage multiple carriers from one postage account, ShipEngine Carriers gives you access to discounted rates from both USPS and UPS, including cubic pricing for USPS shipments!
To learn more about these discounted rates, reach out to our sales team.